Helen Keller

Helen Keller

 This story is so famous that almost everybody knows this great woman's name, "Hellen Keller". She could neither see, hear, nor talk because of her illness at the age of 2. But one private teacher, Sullivan changed her life. Sullivan tried to tell her everything in the world over and over again by spelling the name of all objects on the palm of Helen's hand. Helen gradually learned great deal of words with Sullivan.
Finally she was able to enter Radcliffe College which was the best women's college in America.

"I've made up my mind to work for the handicapped from now on"
"You've done everything you could for me, sacrificing yourself, ever since I was a child. I have no words to thank you enough Sullivan."

After her graduating, she started giving speeches to people all over America, writing books, and establishing some institutions for the handicapped. She continued encouraging disabled persons until she died on June 1, 1968 at the age of 87.

I was impressed about the bond between Helen and Sullivan. I believe Helen's life has been telling us  that we can change ourselves if we work hard.

【words】
private teacher    家庭教師
handicapped        身体障害のある
all through her life    彼女の生涯を通して
Radcliffe College    ラドクリフ大学(ハーバード大学の女子部)
sacrifice oneself    自分を犠牲にする
I have no words to thank you enough    なんとあなたに感謝していいかわかりません
institution    協会・機関
welfare    幸福

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

Brain

The Giving Tree

Tinkers farm